Thread: Rapala for pike
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
If Rapala made spoons, would they be Sven Thompson's?
Am I the only one that remembers... Rapala DID make spoons? Weedless spoons that got hit quite a lot, but had an absolutely abysmal hook up percentage. Later they started putting trebles on them, but I never did try that version.

For actual Rapala lures I've used the F18, Super Shad, and Rattling plugs with good success in the past. In more recent times the classic balsa wood plugs have been bad for losing their lips, and I've never liked their plastic plugs that much.

For Rapala-like lures that are excelent, last year I started experimenting with saltwater plugs that are popular with the Striper/ Surf fishing crowd on the east coast. The Yo-Zuri hydro minnow, and Daiwa SP minnow both proved to be very effective... with the Yo-Zuri being the best in my situation.

With an assortment of spoons, a few soft plastics, and a couple spinnerbaits you can catch pike almost anywhere. For me to carry cranks they need to be able to work in a situation where the afore mentioned lures do not... which I've never really found Rapala's to do. The Hydro and SP Minnows can be fished on a very slow retrieve, in very shallow water, with lots of long pauses, which IS something those other lures wont do very well.

Last edited by Bushleague; 02-13-2024 at 10:45 AM.