Thread: Rapala for pike
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Can't go wrong with Len(#0) the only ones I have not caught fish on are the green and the blue silver premium. Another spoon option is the Mepps Cyclops the big ones ironically the blue/silver is killer on this spoon the flow yellow is great too. The Mepps are my preferred later in the summer when the fish go deeper.

I have been throwing a 6" bomber long a KO for a few years now, fire tiger, perch, and blue-silver, for me fire tiger catches 75%.

Big soft plastics I throw a 6" bass shaped soft plastic with an external rig fantastic pike candy. white, pearl silver, something fluorescent, Something dark

For the life of me, I have not had much luck with spinnerbaits, the hookup rate is just so awful. I tried a small musky(#8 iirc) in-line spinner last year I need more of those.
If I am missing strikes on spinner baits it’s often just a matter of slowing down or add a stinger

Double 8’s and even 10’s in a flash style bucktail work well. My buddy has been hounding me about the fact I don’t sell my double 8s after he did so well on them when he did his fly in trip in Northern Alberta lol

Some brands suck because of cheap clevis so they don’t spin well. Musky mayhem bucktails suck. Musky munchies makes great bucktails but their prop style run deeper, spanky and Dadsons are good. I know a few small guys who make good ones too. For pike I find a lot of the musky bucktails run deeper than I like so I make lighter ones that run higher

I have offered to teach my buddy how to build the bucktails I make and post them up for him if he wants so they might become available in the future. I just want to focus on other designs instead of assembling wire baits