Thread: Rapala for pike
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
One thing I want to try more is underspin jigs and chatter baits, my theory is that some of the misses are the fish hitting the blade so these two bring the blade and the hook closer together.

I have a hard time working slowly after the water has warmed to over 65f speed has almost always produced better for me.
I dont know that they hit the blade too often, but I do think that when they strike at the body of a spinnerbait, they will sometimes connect with the spinner arm and knock the lure in weird directions.

Check out tailspins, for awhile I was tying bucktails on a large bullet head jig, with a spinner blade trailing behind the bucktail. You can make a simple approximation using a saltwater hootchie skirt, and single strand wire and heat shrink tube to affix the trailing spinner blade to the jighead.

They worked about the same as spinner baits, cast and hook up a bit better, but can not be buzzed. The latter is a big part of why I use spinnerbaits, so I got away from making and using the tailspins.