View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
8ushrat, I agree BC fires are more in mountain terrain, however it is much harder to get access for cats and fly water bombers in the mountains.
The point I am making in Alberta we now let fires "RIP" and they burn for 50 miles instead of tackling them when they are small.
There is also a difference in fuel at times as well depending on the location in BC. When an Alberta wildfire whips through the grass/fields it covers ground a lot faster than a mature forest.

It’s a lot more complex than just land mass burnt

I would agree BC is more prepared but look at the history of wildfires between the two provinces. BC on average if fighting more wildfires a year than Alberta

Trust me as someone who has ran equipment on fires in BC and my family does still when they are near by BC is far from a great example on how they should be handled. There has been many miss managed fires in BC

Would it be a good idea for Alberta to be more prepared essentially for this season you bet. But BC has a long history of screwing up and they are just starting to learn from it and become more proactive