View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up My $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
When you cross the border tell them that Ithaca is for bird hunting. (Upland, grouse) not for self defence. My hunter from South Carolina drove up to hunt moose with us this fall and they wouldn’t let him bring his 30-30 for self defence stating you don’t need a firearm to defend yourself. He drove into a small town in North Dakota and left it with a store owner and picked it up on his way home.
I'll add a few comments for things that would not be obvious to someone from out of province. Well, the first 3 anyways.

1. Get/make a magazine plug for the Ithaca. Alberta game bird hunting law limits a shotgun to 3 rounds total. 2 in the mag, 1 in the chamber. If you are checked by an officer that knows this, they will question a shotgun that can hold 8 for hunting birds. Take the plug out and load it with your favourite medicine when you get to your location.

2. Alberta law prohibits having a loaded firearm in, or on a motorized vehicle. Do not transport loaded, do not let a loaded firearm touch the vehicle. Not even leaning against a tire or laying it on the tailgate or the hood. You can have the detachable mag for the BAR loaded; just make sure it's not in the firearm.

3. This one is really nit-picky, but it's a PITA if they choose to apply it to you. In Alberta, aftermarket lights that are mounted above the level of the headlights need to be covered when on the highway. Put lightbar covers on when travelling on the highways to save a potential headache.
I know locals that received a ticket and then were forced to disconnect their lightbar because they didn't have a way to cover it.

4. In certain situations, steering chains on a 2WD can be more of a hindrance than a help.

Enjoy the trip and have a great hunt.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell