Thread: FHA Auction
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 09:28 PM

Auction was interesting, impressive and disappointing all at the same time.

Interesting was the good attendance of buyers, believe it may be a record attendance? Interesting was no Private treaty, allowing wheeling and dealing later. I think this was very wise! Interesting was how low the Beaver numbers shipped - 45,000 when the market is better, when there is no NAFA to compete, when Ontario once produced 4x times this in a season? As my wise friend told me, most of the good Beaver trappers are long gone. This is one animal that demands that you have the beaver handling expertise to put up the catch. As most know, trapping the Beaver is generally the easiest part of the whole exercise! (and exercise it is! ha )

Impressive was how well the FHA auctioneers (all trappers I believe) did. They worked for every dollar. Impressive was the wicked Bobcat demand / prices. The buying has been very selective over the past few years, with a lot purchased selectively here and there. Not TODAY! Strong demand... It was also somewhat impressive to see the marten and lynx both advance back to levels where these premium pelts should be! This should get more trapline activity next year, especially if the winter conditions are a more normal than this last seasons weirdness.

Disappointing for me was Muskrats and Coyotes. Hey, the flavour is not there right now. Will carry some hope into the next sale on rats - there were some reasonable prices on these pesky ranch mink on the sale .... may be foreshadowing the RETURN OF THE RAT. Regarding Coyotes, FHA auctioneer said they could only go 10% under valuations on the bidding. THe better goods were therefore "protected" ... and Low Ball bids as mentioned by another poster was not possible.

Working on the next shipment of Beavers once this late winter hit retreats and the spring break up resumes. It is time to kick it into high gear.