View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 10:35 AM

Gonna bring up another thing with these cameras...there are a lot of posts about batteries and hours of use and all that...so being a guy that likes to think outside the box and just try stuff of a typical "Unconventional" nature, just to see what happens...I looked at what exactly the power requirements of a unit like my Marcum 825sd required around 5 years back and did a little experiment. So I always have a Nautilus booster pack in my truck just in case, and have on occasion clipped the leads to my camera when the camera batter died...ok no issue. So eventually that's all I used was the power bank since it could go for weeks. Hooking the leads from the booster to the camera wasn't a huge issue...but was a bit finicky. So I went to the garage to come up with an easier system to do so...not really a big deal, but then I had an idea...I looked at what the provided battery charger output was that came with the camera, and it was actually withing what was needed to actually power the camera itself...k...so I took the batter charger, clipped the leads on that to the power hook up leads on the camera and plugged it in the 110v in the garage...and the camera ran perfectly! So of course I needed a real world test, so next trip to the ice I just used the Nautilus power pack as usual, but this time plugged the new set up into the 110v AC output of the power pack instead of directly from the 12V DC and again, the camera worked perfectly...been doing this now on my and my wife's camera for the last 5 years with no issues. Cameras can go for days on end non stop if I wanted to. I'm sure there will be many comments as to why this is wrong and "Don't do it!" And ya maybe not on an in warranty item and what not...but math is pretty simple...a device is labeled with its power requirements...as long as you provide those requirements regardless of delivery source...then it should be all good. I have since also used this exact method to power remote panners and all other sorts of stuss since electronis theses days use less and less amperage, and it seems as if the chargers can themselves can provide the required amperage to operate. The other question I had is would the higher usage of the charging devices cause those to fail....well I guess time will tell, but so far 5 years an no issues, no overheats or such. I periodically hook them to a multi meter to make sure they still put out the required power...and again, so far so good! Just convenient for me to have one power source to run everything knowing I don't have to worry and batteries dying. Ya it's a few more cables, but I still find it's easier and simpler then charging a bunch of batteries after every trip and watching them slowly die one by one into the late afternoon. The pack also powers a fan, light, and recharges phones and such if needed....anyway just my 2 cents and sharing a little experience with my little experiment. Now for the blah, blah, blah...I don't recommend or suggest anyone try this unless you have a working knowledge of electrical functions, and have a 100% expectation that you will fry what ever electronic device you attempt this with...using any electrical device outside the manfactures stated specifications can result in damage to the unit, possible fire, personal injury, or even death. There it is...do not try this at home unless you know with100% positivity that you know what you are doing!!