View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 02:39 PM

I cant recommend a specific break, but I have one on my old ruger M77 300 win mag. It is a heavy gun, which helps recoil a lot, but the break helps quite a bit as well, or it must because that original Ruger butt pad is rock hard.

The guys I hunt with don't think that it is that much louder than a similar gun without a break when out in the open... I have only shot it 3 times without muffs/foamys and it wasn't brutal, not pleasant but not the worst I have experienced. I wouldn't hesitate in a pinch to not cover my ears, but I wouldn't go out of my way to not use protection

At the range, one of my buddies damn near hit the roof on my first shot when we were sitting at benches side by side in the shack Said that between the boom and the concussion he felt it scared the heck out of him

I think break design has a lot to do with the sound experience. The one on my 300 is a simple 3.5 to 4 inch tube with holes drilled through it so the gas dissipates in a 360° pattern 90° to the muzzle, this design is much much "quieter" than the break I had on a 7.62x54. The break on the 7.62x54 was a multi "finned" design and it forced the exiting gases back and to the sides, no way for the gas to go up or down. This break was very efficient but I would never, ever even think about shooting it without protection, even with muffs it was really really loud. This makes sense since it is forcing the gases backwards instead of at a 90° angle to the muzzle.

I always have my ear protection and for the most part, I am taking fairly long shots with time to take my time, so I just pop the muffs on. Depends on your situation, I do not do tight brush hunting where I need my ears with that gun.

YMMV but I really like the one on my 300 and I would recommend a similar design. I do not think the same gun with a finned design that forces the gases to the side and back would be good for a hunting rifle, I would not want to shoot it without ear protection and would 100% flinch from the sound. The finned design will work more efficiently to reduce recoil, but the trade off is they are really really loud