View Single Post
Old 04-23-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Helicopter reduction program has been flying out of McKinnon Outdoors Lodge at Calling Lake for about 7 years now. They go as far north as Wood Buffalo, so they have to have a refuel site up there somewhere.

They are able to go onto Cold Lake Air Weapons Range with alot of red tape, and are working on those wolves as well to protect some of the Caribou on the Range. East and West of Calling there are alot fewer wolves and game numbers are getting a bit of a recovery.

Overall the poison bait sites seemed to be best but to much collateral loss for some tastes. Average stretch of highway in Northern Alberta results in far more collateral loss, but the Politicians let us still drive the roads, so far.

No reason why the bait sites should not be used in my opinion. We kill way more critters on the roads than ever died on a bait site by accident. No one will tell me that getting maimed by a truck is any less painful than a poison bait causing death.

The reality is that baits are way more effective at removing roving packs of wolves that enter a territory from which the resident pack has been removed.
It is also completely effective whereas the helicopter crew can never know that they got all of the wolves in a pack.

Drewski
That logic makes absolutely no sense. There may be an argument for poisoning but because we accidently kill animals on the high way we should indiscriminately poison most every hungry predator or scavenger in a given area is a stretch.

The vast majority of animals killed on the high way are ungulates. One might argue due to a lack of natural predators.

Way too many wolves in the areas I hunt and I would love to see a reduction. IMO snaring a bait site would give better control. You might not get them all but I don't think there is a "taste" for killing all wolves.

The survivors would leave a dangerous area making it safer for ungulates and the ungulate population can certainly tolerate some natural predation. The right amount of predation culls the weak, old, sick and stupid strengthening the the herd overall.