View Single Post
Old 04-30-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
Just so you are aware we as guides do not get paid overtime. I am hourly at the lodge I work and due to seasonal labour laws we are not entitled to over time. Just so you are aware. You have to look at seasonal employees such as fishing and orchards. If you are doing guiding for many seasons you have a passion for fishing and mentoring as it is more guest relations than fishing. Some places do better than others when it comes to wages and tips, you have to be comfortable knowing what you are going to be making and what the lodge/operaiton has to offer you as a guide.
That is correct, see copy of the B.C. Employment Standards Act below, however that does not change my point that the outfitter should be properly compensating their staff for the hours worked, and not taking advantage of them, while expecting the clients to top up their salary to provide proper compensation. If regular work hours are 12 to 14 hours a day, that warrants better than minimum wage by a long shot. On top of that, they sure as hell should not be charging you room and board.

That all said, when I worked those jobs it was as much about being out there as the money that got made, but there is still a limit to how low the base pay is and still make sense. There are lots of jobs that do pay $150,000 a year, working the rigs, working a trade with lots of overtime, fishing on the Bearing Sea, etc. but the vast majority of them are not nearly as much fun. You can have money or fun, but usually not both.

The tip is about the going above and beyond and is a personal thank you, it is not about making up for places that pay crappy wages.

Quote:
Exclusions from hours of work and overtime requirements

34 Part 4 of the Act does not apply to any of the following:

(a) a fishing or hunting guide;

(a.1) a wilderness guide;

(b) a person, other than a percussion drill or diamond drill operator or a helper of either operator, employed in any of the following activities while exploring for minerals other than oil or gas:

(i) staking;

(ii) line cutting;

(iii) geological mapping;

(iv) geochemical sampling and testing;

(v) geophysical surveying or manual stripping;

(c) a teacher;

(d) a person employed as a noon hour supervisor, teacher's aide or supervision aide by

(i) a board as defined in the School Act, or

(ii) an authority as defined in the Independent School Act;

(e) a person employed part time by an institution that

(i) provides training or instruction in a trade, occupation, vocation, recreational activity or hobby, and

(ii) is owned or operated by a municipality, regional district or the government;

(f) a manager;

(g) a tender vessel worker;

(h) a guard, fire warden or fish camp worker employed in connection with a commercial fishing operation;

(i) a person employed on a towboat other than

(i) a boom boat,

(ii) a dozer boat, or

(iii) a camp tender

in connection with a commercial logging operation;

(j) a police officer employed by a municipal police board established under the Police Act;

(k) a fire fighter employed by a paid fire department as defined in the Fire Department Act;

(l) a commercial traveller who, while travelling, buys or sells goods that

(i) are selected from samples, catalogues, price lists or other forms of advertising material, and

(ii) are to be delivered from a factory or warehouse;

(m) an operator of a motor vehicle who is employed exclusively to transport

(i) students, teachers and other persons accompanying them on school related activities that have been approved by a board as defined in the School Act or by an authority as defined in the Independent School Act, and

(ii) persons to and from a church;

(n) the master or crew of a chartered boat;

(o) any of the following employees of BC Rail Ltd. or of a subsidiary of that company as defined in the British Columbia Railway Act:

(i) a locomotive engineer or helper;

(ii) a train conductor or a train baggage handler;

(iii) a brake operator;

(iv) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 357/97.]

(p) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 113/99, s. 5.]

(q) a live-in home support worker;

(r) any of the following who are employed by a charity to assist in a program of therapy, treatment or rehabilitation of physically, mentally or otherwise disabled persons:

(i) a counsellor;

(ii) an instructor;

(iii) a therapist;

(iv) a childcare worker;

(v) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 44/97, s. (c).]

(s) a faculty member as defined in the University Act;

(t) a professor as defined in the Royal Roads University Act;

(u) an instructor, counsellor, librarian or administrator who is employed by an institution as defined in the College and Institute Act;

(v) a senior tutor, or tutor, who is employed by the Open Learning Agency;

(w) a night attendant;

(x) a residential care worker;

(y) a live-in camp leader.

(z) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 56/2017, s. 1 (c).]

[am. B.C. Regs. 44/97, s. (c); 357/97; 26/98, s. 1; 113/99, s. 5; 250/2014, s. 2; 56/2017, s. 1; 76/2022, s. 11.]

Last edited by Dean2; 04-30-2024 at 12:19 PM.