View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 01:39 PM

From reading this forum, and researching other sources, I have not been able to access any detailed data to support the claim of the absence of Mature rams. I am not personally convinced there is a problem.

SRD definately has some VERY detailed information on OUR sheep population. Before any changes are made to the sheep hunting regulations, SRD should be forced to reveal the evidence supporting their position. My experience in trying to access detailed reports on hunter harvest, population status, etc., is that it will take an effort through the freedom of information act.

http://foip.alberta.ca/

Is there anyone here willing or able to provide relevant sheep info. to the readers of AO?

There is a lot of research on Alberta sheep that is the property of our Universities, funded by our Govt. This info is also difficult to access. Members with access to their libraries may have some access here.

I wouldn't be suprised if the number of mature rams that live part or full time outside of the parks have decreased in recent years. If SRD will confirm this with the data, then the next step is to confirm the cause of mortality. Predation by Grizzlies, Cougars and Wolves needs to be considered within the context of sheep management. I personally feel that non-human predation of sheep should be managed as a tool to restore sheep populations before further resrictions are put on people.