View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntercam View Post
I have to disagree that there are not enough mature rams here in Alberta. Many people on this forum have stated numerous times, sheep population is not the problem, but the number of mature rams being harvested is a problem. I disagree because the rams being harvested each year is a fraction of the total ram/ breeding ram population and has little effect on which rams are breeding. It may actually relieve some of the stress caused throughout the breeding season (I have no proof of this, just a guess). In some zones the breeding rams never moving to areas with hunting seasons. There are many 5, 6, and 7 year old rams that do the majority of the breeding. The 5, 6 and 7 year old rams that are harvested now are a fraction of the population.
Cam
This is true that some areas some breeding rams are from protected areas! But the rams that this really pertains to are the resident rams that live out side our parks and mines year round. Most rams that do travel from protected areas are doing so in November and with out a draw they have little chance of being hunted anyways.

Lower numbers of older rams that live outside of the parks is what guys wanna improve. No one has stated that there arent enough breeding rams in protected areas.

And if these 5, 6 and 7 year old rams were allowed to age a little more we would have 8, 9 and 10 year old rams doing the breeding.

Our parks and protected areas do very well. Predators are still a problem but you do see a greater variety in ages in these areas. Rams are able to reach 8+ years without being hunted.