Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setterman View Post
First of all I really want this topic to continue as I feel it is a very important issue that many Albertans need more information about. If you can't be civil then please don't comment. This issue affects our hunting rights as Albertans and this is an issue I do not take lightly.

What have we discussed so far??

1) We need information to clarify if in fact there is an issue with the age structure of our big horn sheep. In my opinion/observations there is not. So why is this "5 year wait" being proposed. From what I have heard the main push is coming from special interest groups. This is wrong - no matter what organization it is coming from. As Albertans this is our resource and thus we should have a say in how it is managed. We all need to be contacting SRD to communicate our views on this issue.

2) If there is in fact an issue with the age structure of our sheep then we need to be proactive and communicate our view/ideas to SRD. We have had many suggestions on how to do this. All have been good ideas and I appreciate everyone creativity and ability to think outside the box. This is what I think.....
If restrictions are needed to enhance the age structure of big horn sheep in our province we need something that is very concrete and tangible. Sheep are hard to age- that is a fact. Even F&W have "issues" . Any type of restrictions based on age is a can of worms that will eventually have to be decided by a judge. Here is an example. Last week I was emailed the below picture. I have no idea who this person is but i can tell you that his smile was ear to ear. To me this sheep looks short, but I have confirmation that it has been registered so it goes to show just how hard it is to judge sheep. I have never harvested a big horn sheep and honestly I would have passed on this sheep but who am I to take anything away from this dude- he looked pumped!!!

I will never try and instill my idea of a trophy on another hunter. A trophy animal is subjective to the hunter pulling the trigger.

If in fact our sheep need hunting restrictions to benefit the age structure then I would vote for a tier system.

1st - Sheep - normal 1 year wait
2nd- Sheep - 3 year wait
Five year wait for any other sheep that are harvested.

Truthfully I am not even sure if this system would work as different hunters may just fill in the void left when other are waiting but it is the best I have hears so far.

We all need to be writing letters to SRD, our MLAs, the Premier , APOS, FNAWS and AFGA. My letters will be mailed out by the end of the weekend.
Again lets be civil for the sheep’s sake.

Have a great long weekend everyone. Cheers SM
Just in case I misunderstand, you have confirmation this sheep is legal and has been registered?
The picture is on a terrible angle for me to judge but if the CO called it legal and plugged it then they are law and we can second guess all we want it makes no difference. According to the law the hunter didn't need a course and made a legal call. Congrats to the lucky hunter.