Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 04:29 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
But how is letting someone shoot a ram before implementing a wait punishing them. It a majestic bighorn sheep!!! Many people never get the oppertunity to hunt one and many guys are against all this because they feel its there right to shoot 4 or 5 or more.
You guys talk like there are an endless number of sheep hunters joining sheep hunting every year.
Well maybe down south where you hunt but most places I go frequently you run into most guys every year around the same time in the same area! Most new guys you bump into say ya we hunted else where last year and thought we would try here this year. You run into very limited number of first time hunters. And if you do chances are they are a younger generation offspring of a sheep hunter. Sure there are a few coming in every year but I beleive from what I have seen that it is a very small percentage of the sheep hunting population.

So, after five years you have roughly 700 sheep hunters sitting on the side line. You've still got around 1,500 sheep hunters hunting for 140 sheep. That's adding in zero recruitment. I'm sure out of those 1,500 sheep hunters, at least 140 are willing to kill a sheep. Now just for arguement sake, lets say 25% of the rams killed are 8 years or greater. Likely rams that any of the 1,500 will kill if they are looking for a mature ram. So now you only need 105 hunters out of the remaining 1,465 hunters that are willing to kill a sub 8 year old ram. To me the math adds up to the same amount of sheep being killed.