Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
sorry tj, i thought i was clear on what i thought the problem was. i have said through the whole saga here that i for one would like to have more mature rams in the hills. it has been well proven that overall numbers seem to be doing fine, but that big mature rams are scarce. yes there are a few that get whacked when they roam out of sanctuaries like the mines and parks, but in general sheep hunting zones they are pretty rare. just this year ksteed got a hog that wandered over from the mine in bc. it seems agreed that he grew up on the mine at sparwood due to his black horns, and kyle caught him over in alberta. congrats to a lucky hunter. the point is, he spent a good chunk of his life protected. same goes for ram #90 that got hit by a car. the poster of the pic said that ram spent a great deal of his time in an area off limits to hunters, but lived close enough to maybe be legal at times. he never did wander out in front of a hunter. i wish there were more like him in huntable zones. i would also love to see more areas opened for sheep hunting...i believe siffleur and white goat were at the top of that list. not my idea....someone elses, but a good i dea i think. my point is that as long as things are the way they are, big mature rams will remain a rarity. to keep doing what has always been done and hoping for a different result is futile. the only way to change the end is to change the means and thats what i thought this was all about. to be clear, although i suggested a draw from the start, i never asked for it to be province wide. i see the need for ample opportunity for those wanting to just hunt. although i dont see the 5 year wait working to put more mature sheep out there, i cant say for sure it wont. it is less restrictive than a draw so some may find it more palatable. agan, i dont think it will achieve the end result, but i dont see it hurting the sheep any. it will restrict some hunting opportunity and it has been said enough that restricting opportunity is the only way to increase trophy quality. and , same as a draw, im not sure this has to be province wide either. i am not accepting anything shoved down my throat tj. i am for change. i feel change would be good for trophy sheep hunting in alberta, but i do see the desires of others for maximum opportunity. i dont think im being rigid about it either. i am looking at everyones views and looking for solutions to please the majority of hunters. there is no way everyone will be happy with any changes made....just as not all are happy with the status quo.
What it will hurt Dale is that it will prevent 700 dedicated mountain hunters from hunting the mountains for 5 years. By F&W's own definition it is illegal to accompany another hunter on a hunt and assist in that hunt in any way. (Darcy, please don't go off on a tangent here about what I've done and what Rich has done. I have no interest in debating this subject...it's in black and white) I'm just passing along what the Wildlife Act says. So following that, if a hunter kills a ram and wants to follow the letter of the law, he/she must basically stay out of the mountains during hunting season with his hunting companions for five years. Some will say that F&W will never enforce that and they could be right but by the letter of the law, that's what a five-year wait would do. Do we really want to promote that type of regulation? Do we really want to open that door? I can think of no more draconian regulation.