View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner72 View Post
"and maybe effective range on a crossbow might not be 100 yards, it still is more than a bow."
I don't know about that one. I'm not saying your wrong but last year my uncle bought an excaliber cross bow. We were set up at 60 yards and shooting into a solid foam taget(common density). I shoot a switchback 60#, 30" draw with 300 grain arrows 100gr feild tip. I know my arrows are moving around 285fps, don't know anything about the cross bow. Everytime we shoot my arrow wound penatrate the target at least 2 inches farther...FACT. Even if you think about it like a bullet and it's bullistic coeficient an arrow has to be better than a bolt from a cross bow? I just don't understand how a cross bow, down range, can out do todays compound bows. Not to mention my switchback is hardly the best bow(for speed and power) to compair to a top of the line cross bow. I guess i could be wrong... it's happened before.
To many diffrent variables, to conclude that what you are saying is accurate. When I say effective range ,I don't mean max hunting distance. So maximum distance really has nothing to do with determining your weapon's "effective hunting range". An effective hunting range is the maximum distance that you can reliably use your weapon to accurately, humanely, and ethically harvest big-game. The answer isn't absolute , as shooter skill-level and hunting conditions must be factored-in as well. It takes archers years to perfect their, form confidence and accuracy out to certain distances. A crossbow effectively can turn even the most inexpirenced hunter into a accurate killing machine to 60 yards, effortlessly.