View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Banned

packhuntr, you wish to hear about my archery experience...ok. got my first bow when i was 15. a bear polar ltd. it was used when i got it and it was pretty dismal even at the time, but i was a kid and happy to have it. i killed a mule doe my first year and thought it was pretty cool. didnt keep the ears though. i got a small buck the next year and in 90 or 91 i got what is still my biggest archery buck. a mule netting 176 which i was told at the time was top ten in alberta with archery. i dont know that for sure as to this day i have never entered it. i tried a crossbow without much success when i lived in BC and when i moved back to alberta i bought a used PSE. it exploded in my face at full draw within 2 weeks of getting it. cut me up a little, and scared the poo right outta me. i asked PSE if they could help me out with the purchase of a new bow as they had a model i liked then. i didnt expect a free bow, but maybe a discount or something. what i got was the WORST customer service i have ever had from any outdoor company. i will never own another PSE and they will get tons of free advertising from me forever as a result. anyway, i found a deal on a 1 year old browning mirage and i killed a doe that season. the next year i bought a mathews Q2 which served me well for a couple years and then i got into the oilfield and just couldnt find time to bowhunt for the next couple seasons. now i have a mathews reezen which is the fastest bow i have ever had. i feel confident to 60 yards with it, but last season i never shot at a deer. every deer that came close to our blind was the target of my wife. i vowed not to shoot until she got hers. several times we had deer within 50, but her range is 30 so we waited. she begged me to shoot more than once, but i didnt want to take a chance away from her. she fired 1 arrow all year long. a really nice 170ish mule at 20 yards. buck fever got her and for whatever reason she got confused and when i told her 20, she used her 2nd pin and let er rip. as the arrow sailed over him i couldnt believe what i was seeing. her second pin is 30, but the pressure twisted her brain i guess. she is still having nightmares about it. the buck took a few steps and stood there lookin around at 27 yards, but she was too flustered to get another arrow on the string and get drawn. when he stopped again at 35, she told me to shoot, but i thought she might get another chance the next day. oh, wait pack...i mean we cruised roads wearing jeans all year
this weekend, we were out for gophers, but the weather cut us short.