View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
It is great that you are always able to stalk up to the animal, find a good rest, let the obliging critter turn broadside, and ever so carefully squeeze the trigger. Ever try hunting moose or elk in the timber... or whitetails or muleys for that matter, and you sometimes just have to up and shoot? Sometimes there is no time for the textbook stalk. You just have to throw lead (or better yet pure copper) or not get a shot at all. Sometimes animals are actually running when you discover them,at least I have found. Maybe I am just not stealthy enough. Oh and yes, to those who think you're going to shock an animal right off his feet.............well some animals drop to the shot, regardless of what bullet you shoot. Some will run a ways and drop, no matter what you shoot. If you don't hit them in the brain or spine, it's basically the bleeding to death that kills them. I have seen a goodly number of Bison meet their demise, and I can tell you they are surely not too impressed by bullet energy. They can take a .375 or .338 slug and hardly show any visible reaction to being hit. They generally have to bleed for awhile, then they drop. Unless of course they are hit in the brain or spinal cord.
The original question at the start of this thread was asking if a Nosler Accubond or Nosler Partition was a better all around bullet for hunting critters up to the size of Moose. I have seen Accubonds and Scirroccos absolutely flattened on moose and elk sized game. At longer ranges they obviously hold together better. I guess in a perfect world you would just always take broadside double lung shots and it wouldn't matter what you shot. Last time I checked we weren't living in a perfect world, so I would take a partition every time over the accubond for elk and moose sized game. But I know that probably makes too much sense, so therefore I am probably wrong.
To answer the original question, I believe that both are excellent bullets. One has certain trait advantages over the other. I know that the accubond has a
higher ballistic coefficient, thicker jacket walls, bonded lead core, polycarbonate tip, and generally a more accurate projectile. The partition does not offer any of these traits. The only signifiacate advantage that the partition has over the accubond is it's intergral partition, hence the name partition. The bottom/back part of the partition drives the front portion which delivers controlled expansion and leaves the bottom portion intact. There is no signifigent difference in the weight retention. Nosler have been around for a long time and have a great reputation and their Accubond would be my first choice of bullet followed by the ballistic tip.
Regarding comments on the Barnes bullets I will always stand up to what I know and believe in and I will never use Barnes bullets again in my life. I guess they have their purpose for those who have less confidence in the hunting/shooting skills and who like to break shoulder bones. They are a nasty bullet, meaning that they are the closest thing to a FMJ.
Regarding bullet energy, let me tell you something from the greatest teacher on earth. Let me introduce you to Mr. Experience. Not going into great detail, (KISS Theory) many times I have witnessed quarter size entry, interior and exit wounds. These animals dropped in their tracks and died instantly. That animal did not die from that wound channel, it died from the whole nervous system shutting down which was a result of a massive shockwave transfered from energy. There are a few people on this forum who read alot of books, but that is not the problem, the problem is that they they believe what they read instead of using a little common scense and learning from Mr. Experience. Ego and narcissism with some of these guys will be their biggest downfall.