View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Your point about the Ya Ha elk is well made and there are certainly lots of issues in the region, with predators being a considerable one. I think there are a few more but you are correct that the draw has seemed to do little. I'm not sure if you can equate the results of an elk draw to a sheep draw or not...possibly but they do face very different habitat, hunter and predator challenges. You'll get no arguement from me that more needs to be done right across sheep range in regards to habitat improvement and predator control although I doubt we'll see the effort put into the latter that is required to acheive any results. You could be right and I'm not a proponent of sheep draws at all but if they appear to be the last option fix for a population in trouble, I'm not going to stand in the way either.
So why wouldn't we stand up and say, habitat and predators need to be managed better, prior to a draw system. As the true problem is still there and by limiting local hunters is not a real means of fixing the problem? I would call that a quick fix.