View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicehole View Post
I don't believe anyone here is saying don't share and offer nothing. If that's the case, why did they join the forum? They can simply leech anonymously without the abuse. What I think and I think many are suggesting, is that as you admire that amazing specimen you've just landed, think whether you are doing a world of good by throwing the name of the lake/pond out on the internet? What's up there is forever. Ask yourself is this a big enough fishery that can take some extra pressure or, by innocently helping our fellow fisherman, turn this quality fishery into a "follow the stocking truck" fishery? I know of a number of pothole type lakes within a couple of hours of Calgary that used to consistently produce trout over 20 inches. Now sadly, the majority of the fish are the year's stockers. There are still a number of other similar small lakes and ponds that are still consistent producers but they are in danger now too. Some argue these are put and take fisheries and sure they are but fish need several seasons to attain a bragging size. Their chances of reaching that size are greatly reduced when there are a high volume of people flossing the water. A quality fishery is maintained by special regs, its remoteness, relatively unknown or is resilient to fishing pressure. A quality fishing experience is reward for those who do their homework. Yes most of the fishable waters are already listed in Mitchell's Guide but all it takes is a picture on the internet to trigger an onslaught. What's to gain by spoonfeeding people at the expense of the fragile fishing body?

If you think KyleM's topic is overstated, I ask you to think of your favorite pond where you've had consistent success with bragging sized fish, name it here, add a picture and let's reopen this topic in three years.

p.s. Without sounding too hypocritical, I think the Google Map is a noble effort. Now let's go fishing!
Very well said