Thread: 25-06 for moose
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
I would also recommend the 115 grain nosler partition for best bullet weight retention with the small 25 calibre. I have always worried about bullet weight retention since I have been shooting 130 grain sierra boat tails out of my .270 win at bull moose. I have not had any issues yet as I have killed at least a dozen bulls with this bullet with boiler room shots. I have had pass throughs and bullet blow ups but the moose died in all cases without excessive running (no more than 100 yards). It really depends on what the bullet hits on the way in. I just switched up to 140 grain Nosler Accubond ballistic tips as they shoot okay out of my gun as well. We will see how it goes.
You know that Sierra was my go to load for awhile until I had a rash of shallow penetrations an jackets shed at 2 inches. I went through a few different bullets and ended up at the 140gr Accubonds. Heck ova bullet in that cartridge. It penetrates like a train, and drops stuff with aplomb.
58-9gr H4831sc and your good to go.

And if I all I had was a 25-06. I`d load some TSX`s or 115 Partitons and shoot with confidence.