View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Trophy hunting during the the IMHA are not all rumours. I know one family who registered 2 rams, a grizzly bear, and a couple of cougars during the first year of the agreement. They also shot 2 trophy antelope and a 195" mule deer. One guy I work with shot a moose in a draw area and another guy from work shot a mule deer buck in a draw zone. These two guys had both obtained their Metis cards so they could participate in Native hockey and fastball tournaments. All four of these 4 guys are hard working upstanding people who believed they were acting within the rules of the IMHA.

If completely unregulated Metis hunting returns, there will be those who take advantage of it. The Metis Nation can pretend that they will regulate hunting abuses themselves, but what right do they have to strip a member of his Metis status? Is the new agreement going to be for all Metis people or only for those that are in good standing with the Metis Nation of Alberta? How can the Metis Nation remove someone's Metis status once it has been geneoligically traced? It would be like the government telling me I'm no longer Dutch.