View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
U'm I'm pretty sure that the incidents of disease down stream of the tailing ponds has been well documented, I know we all gotta make a living but looking at something criticly is not necessarily a bad thing. I know a lot of workers in that project from our region suffer from enviromental illnesses, of some sort or another.
there are many other contributing factors to an increase in disease, lifestyle is the biggest one. There has been nothing proven to be caused by the oilsands projects. do some research and learn the facts.

The Athabasca River does contain traces of bitumen, and the residual natural chemicals, such as PAHs, mercury, and arsenic that exist in bitumen. But information dating back 50 years shows no significant change in the quantities of those trace materials. The banks of the river have natural bitumen seeps in many places, so these chemicals in the Athabasca River, oddly enough, are a natural phenomenon.

Just like every other river in alberta, high consumption of fish from the streams is not recommended. I would be willing to bet that there has been no increase in disease, just in disease diagnosis.

check out the canada oilsands website.