View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ok this is gonna mess with your mind.
Griz where you hunt hmm, whens the last time you had any sort of encounter with a griz, let alone even saw one?
Contrary to what is written about in the giun rags(Sorry TJ and Rich) but you sometimes gotta seperate the BS from the cold hard facts.
30'06's and 270's account for a pile of elk every season, they too have killed a pile of griz.
I'll give you an analogy to illustrate my point. Way back when I started in this tossed up world of huntiong and guns there was this friend of a friend who was about my age, and his Dad and Uncle and he all shot identical 270Wins, with identical reloads which consisted of H4831 and Fed 215's and 130gr. Nosler Partition's.
Between the 3 of them over the years the game tally went something like this:
6 Grizzly bear.
dozens of bull elk
dozens of bull moose
10's of dozens of deer
a smattering of sheep
a few goats
and a dozen or 2 of antelope.
Now if push came to shove I'd be inclined to have a wee bit more jam than a 130 in a 270Win, but it sure beats having only a camera in that sort of situation.
I'd be inclined to recommend that you purchase a 30'06 and look at ammunition with a weight of no less than 165grain, and bullets of a controlled expansion design.
some factory loadings that fit this catigory are:
180gr Nosler Partition's
180 gr, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws
168gr. TSX
165gr. TBBC

Seek the loading that shoots best in the rifle you buy, and stick with the stuff that gives you top accuracy.

My 2 bits anyways.
Ditto on the .270

Although, 6 years ago I was just about laughed out of hunting camp in Northern BC when I pulled out my .270 featherweight.

My partners were armed with a .300 WM. .300 Weatherby and a .338 WM.

No one was laughing the next afternoon when I dropped a bull moose in its tracks with a 140 grain failsafe.

For anyone starting out I always recommend the 30-06. You just can't go wrong.

Although, I have in my gunsafe a 30-06, .300 WSM, .300 WM and a .338 WM I rarely use anything but the 06 and the .270. And when the shot just has to be made I pull out my old .270 every time. I've been using it so long it just points itself. Right now I favor the 140 Accubonds.