View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Gone Hunting

I worked as a big game guide for a few seasons.
I saw a lot of different people shoot a lot of game with a lot of different calibers.
All this lead me to one conclusion. No caliber is too big or too small for the animals you are after.
But a gun can be to big for the shooter. If you are afraid of the gun, it's not the gun for you.
I watched more then once as one of our favorite clients, a huge man who carried a Mag-na-ported 375 H&H magnum, miss shot after shot.
One day I was looking directly at him when he fired that cannon. He flinched like he had been stung by a bee. The gun kicked like a 30-06 but his mind was telling him it would kick like a 375 so he flinched. And he missed.

I have watched many an old trapper drop game with small calibers from a 22mag to a 25-35, and never miss a shot. Almost every shot was a one shot kill.

Yeah I know that a 22mag is illegal for big game. I didn't know it back then and I don't think the shooter did either. The Moose clearly didn't know it, it dropped on the second shot.

I would recommend any mid size caliber 243, 6mm 6.5x55 are all good deer guns in my opinion. But if you like the 375H&H and can shoot well with it, by all means, use it.

Last edited by KegRiver; 10-13-2010 at 08:04 PM.