View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 10:06 AM

ddddd05 has it right, that area is the prime spawning area for the pike. I grew up summers on PT Allison, last cabin on the point(great fishing)...I know this area well and the loss of that spawning and young rearing area would do alot to make this lake very average very quickly! THis area is no different than the channel @ pigeon , and that area is closed to fishing every spring for a reason. The same reason this area should be left protected !

Josh Goebel- the power plants have actually helped to make this lake the trophy fishery that it is, the warm water has helped to greatly increase the biomass available to the forage fish (perch and whites) that these big pike rely on for food !Theres more weed growth,that helps to allow the smaller fish shelter to grow. These shallow / marshy areas are the place where most on the biomass grows and spends it's life. The big picture / cycle of life says that the top predator will suffer when then food source/ biomass below it shrinks or dissappears.
If you look at a map , there is no river that supplies this lake with water, it is a spring fed lake. THis lake would have alot colder water temp. average and the biomass would again be affected. This is one lake that gets very little algae bloom in the summer and is one of my favorites because of this !

The way this lake has recovered from the spill and other issues is amazing, but to turn every square inch of it into a beach/cabin/marina area just to get more of a tax base is too much !