View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Hey Just a quick derail sorry. I was wondering how you like the rapid Z 800 reticle? I ordered that scope in the 50mm but sent it back for a meopta. The scope was great I just wasn't a fan of how small the reticle was and I got nervous about how different zoom changed your balistics. But Im sure if you have it figured out it is a great scope. Do you have too leave your magnification at a certain power? I have been wondering how it would have performed in the field since I sent it back this is why I am asking you for your experience on the scope.
Thanks Justin
I think it is the best ballistic reticle on the market hands down. It is simple and very fast and can be adjusted to be dead on for every applicable cartridge.
the reticle is etched into the glass in the second plane of the scope. This means the subtension (distance between crosshairs) changes with changes in magnification. The scope is zero at 200 yards and no matter what the magnification is this zero always remains. Once the 200 yard zero is achieved a trip to the Zeiss website where you can input your load data into the ballistic calculator. Don't worry if you shoot factory ammo it is all listed in there. I shoot custom loads so I need my bullet BC and MV to enter in the fields. The calculator gives you a magnification for that load in your rifle that will put it on the money to 800 yards. You MUST shoot your rifle to confirm POI and if a little adjustment is needed you just chase the POI. If high turn the magnification up a little.
Once you spend some time with the system it is remarkable how fast and accurate it is. I got to play out to 700 yards with this gun and scope this fall and the 8" gong was dead every shot.