View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
One thing that hasn't been discussed is tuning.
A big part of bowhunting / archery is tuning. You don't just pick a bow off the wall and go hunting. It would appear to me that a x-bow would be more like a [B]rifle[B] in that respect. I've spent alot of time paper tuning broadhead tuning,etc,etc proir to even thinking about hunting with my bow.
Does the same apply to an x-bow??
If the answer is no than that alone is a good enough reason to vote no
Mountain Guy, Yes a crossbow has to be tuned. You can have the same type of fiber optic sights that you would find on a compound bow or a scope that needs to be sighted in just like a rifle scope. I have a red dot scope that is set for 30 yds but I only practice out to 40 yds because I found that my 150 lb crossbow did not have enough penetrating power after that.

With my red dot I have to practice every year just like anyone else to determine where my bolt will hit at 10, 20, 30 (zero) and 40 yds. At 10 yds my bolt hits high enough to make a big difference and at 40 yds it has dropped off ALLOT from zero. I don't have the option of putting my sight on a deer at 40 yds and I have to judge my holdover. But that is the choice that I made with that particular type of scope.

Apparently they now have scopes specific to certain draw weights of crossbows with BDC type recticles that have hash marks for various distances. That's not my thing and I can't tell you anything about them.