View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Doing my thinking for me again. Thanks, but your not getting anything I stand for as I mentioned previously.

I am a multi-specie angler. That means i fish all species, not just trout. I care what happens to all species, not just trout.

I was waiting for someone to throw the "not as many fishable waters as other provinces" comment in. I kinda knew it would be you. I can see why you think i have the disconnect problem.

Another red herring the Gov wants us to believe is the problem with our province. No sir, that isnt the problem with the fisheries. The problem is funding and enforcement. You can throw that government conditioned comment right out of the ice shack.

Sun wrote

"You misread the facts and assume that because BC has a user pay and manage system that all the money goes back in and that is what creates the utopian fishing in BC when compared to Alberta. Your solution of throwing money at a problem...rarely if ever works in the short term...let alone the long term.

Simple as that. "

Some of that money does go back into BC's fishery, here it goes to fighting forest fires.

I bet you havent fished many other provinces(other than BC), followed other provinces fishing boards, or see what other provinces do to maintain an all around quality fishery have you? According to your posts and input from the last 6 years, I know you havent. You go to BC and way south for your fishing, and your community pond. I rarely, if ever, see you mention any other fishing you did in Alberta.

The solution of throwing money at a problem is the answer nowadays to create quality as proven in other provinces. Even BC has figured out that thier fisheries are not self-sustainable and they spend to keep the quality. As we all see in this province compared to others, no money means less quality, and alot more complaints. And I'm not just talking trout! Perch in this trout lake, quads muddying those rivers cause theres no bridges, rampant poaching on our lakes, Shoreline habitat destruction, Commercial fishing and on and on. So the gov makes more rules and doesnt enforce them. And they offer no money to enforce them.

It takes money, simple as that!
Look at a map...compare lakes in BC to lakes in Alberta near major urban centers. It will become clear to you about the lack of lakes in Southern Alberta.

You keep insinuating most stocked trout are poached. If you are seeing this...how often are you reporting it? I frankly have fished lots over the years...I do not see it...and I watch for it.

Please give us the information on stocking I asked for. Let's compare the number of lakes and numbers of fish stocked in Alberta versus BC. Then we can talk about your conjectures. I think we will find the actual data interesting.

Apparently BC stocks 8 million fish into 900 rivers/lakes. There is a hard fact for you.

BC
http://www.gofishbc.com/whatwedo.htm
"Freshwater fishing is an important recreational and economic activity. Approximately 400,000 licensed anglers spend $400-500 million on freshwater fishing in B.C. each year. Recent surveys show that about one-half of the angler effort in fresh water takes place on lakes stocked by Society hatcheries."

Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
So ppl come from BC to fish our amazing pike and walleye, and albertans head to BC to fish thier big trout in lakes? And working towards creating one or two of these lakes here in alberta, close to calgary, is a bad thing? I have followed this topic since the start and have yet to see anything posted that is a true factual negative to this initiative. Lots of IMHO out there about garbage, traffic, congestion, kids not being able to catch fish, etc. One poster listed another 50 plus lakes and potholes that can be stripped clean of fish for those that like to keep their catches, so I am still missing why changing 2 lakes to stricter regs to promote a quality fishery is such a problem. The SRD stocked 242 lakes, potholes, and steams last year with over 20 million fish and will do the same this year.

Facts on Bullshead, prior to regs changes, 70,000 fish stocked annually, after 5 years of regs changes, now stocked with 20,000 fish. Plain math shows a 50,000 fish lower stocking rate just by having these changes. Based on that there is a possible reduction of 24,000 fish stocked in K lakes. Just between those 2 areas there would be enough money for another CO to be out there as all of us believe there are not enough CO's to do the job.
So...what is Alberta doing wrong? We have fewer lakes and are stocking almost 300% more? I thought I read that our licensing revenue is only about $100 MM compared to the $400-500 MM in BC. As I mentioned before...you are arguing apple to oranges against a great initiative in our Province. Why?

I don't agree with your argument that to improve fishing in Alberta we need 80,000,000 fish stocked. Would you pay $300 for a yearly license to cover costs? How about being fair and make a two tier licence. $50 if catch and release...and $700 to cover the right to kill a sustainable limit and bonus fish stocked?