View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I work at Bass Pro and I am telling you that way more than half of the people that want to buy one think they are a 75 - 100 yard tool. They see a scope and figure they can fling a pointy stick whichever way they choose.

This is in my opinion what is wrong with the crossbow. Too many folks are too lazy to be proficient with a compound and figure they can roll in with a crossbow and get critters that hang up out of range.

I think that if we implement a season for them, there should be some sort of training required. Educate folks on the effective range and how an arrow kills. By the way, I feel this way about any bowhunting. I know I could have used more education in the first couple of seasons I was bowhunting. It would have helped me in so many ways.
Herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Did they die hard bow hunters get their way? Or are too many people unsure and uneducated about crossbows?

This afternoon at the AFGA conference SRD announced that there will be no special crossbow season in 2011.

At the end of hunting season there was a hunter survey sent out to Alberta RELM users. The last question had to do with if you were in favor of having a special crossbow season before the regular rifle season.
The results were as is:
37% Yes
44% No
19% Neutral
I have been a long proponent of a separate season for x-bows, I really wish that such a resolution would have been more widely accepted. I think that there may have been some animosity in regard to the rifle season starting later, or the archery season ending sooner to accommodate such a season, at least IMO. No one wants to lose any ground.

The term uneducated has been thrown around, heres my take. In this sense, uneducated means that 1) people are unaware about the true limitations about x-bows (really only one shot, awkward, heavy, loud, etc...) and mis represent them as 100m silent death bringers (which they kind of could be in the right hands). x-bows really are a 50m'ish tool (in practical hunting scenarios), they are subject to the same velocity and energy loses as regular archery tackle. However the ability of learning to shoot them accurately is by no means mis represented... its not that hard.
2) People are unaware that the 'general season' may end because of it, this is not a guarantee, however the number of archers would increase and even if the success rate remained equal the higher number results in un-doubltably more harvests and certain species will be given priorities and draws would more than likely be implemented (Bull moose and antlered mule deer as an ex. as these are two species that are already on draw).

X-bows do deserve a spot at the table, however there seems to be much animosity about them in the Alberta archery community, instead of forcing them into this community, why not create a new one? That is why i have always been a proponent of this separate season, a spot at the table. Would I ever buy a crossbow? maybe, probably, wouldn't say no. Is that x-bow ever going to replace my bows? Hell NO!

A x-bow has many similarities to a bow, but that doesn't make it a bow, just like how its stock and trigger don't make it a rifle.

Everybody needs to grow up, x-bows are here and they won't be going away any time soon. There definitely needs to be more education about them.