View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Good point Goldscud. But what if you made the regs read 5 fish with a maximum size of 16". The fish that are left in the lake and make it past the legal keep size of +16" stay in the lake until they die of natural causes. Over time, there would be more and more big fish in the lake to catch.
Sorry Dave, this simply makes no more sense than a five fish limit any size...which is what we have now!!
Fish would be cropped off before they ever reach 16". I was talking to one of the fish cops or whatever he was, at Kinky lake in Hinton. They netted the lake a couple of times this spring and did some mark/recapture study and the biggest fish they caught in their nets was 16.3 inches. He said that one was unfortunately an anomaly. So that is very evident proof that your theory just wont work. By the time these fish reach 14", duffy has already been out to the lake to crop them off.

By the way, Kinky Lake has not winterkilled for the last 3 or 4 years (at least 3).

So, would someone like me (and I'm not the only one) who wants to feel a quality fish on the end of my line go to a lake and fish for the half dozen or so "anomaly" fish?? Probably not. We just want some diversity, we don't want to eliminate all put and take 5 fish limit lakes.