View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
As I've already said HunterDave, it's not about it being easier, it's about it being possible and there is a big difference. I'm still waiting for the list of 3 lakes that it is possible to catch a 20"+ fish on a regular basis. I say "regular" basis because I don't want any "anomalies". "I once caught a 21" rainbow out of lake x back in 1980," doesn't count. Out of 300 stocked lakes in Alberta, if the fishery was anything better than mediocre, it should be easy to list 25 - 50 of such lakes.

I grew up on my grandpa's farm and he stocked fish in a dugout every year that winterkilled. He put 10-12" in the spring and by fall they were well over 16" and many over 18". That's in one year! I realize that not all lakes have the capacity to grow fish that big, that quick (especially when SRD overstocks the %*^* out of them) but it shouldn't be that hard to raise fish to a descent size.

There is a quote that says something like, "Good is what stops us from getting to great." I think you, and many people in Alberta, believe that the fishery is "good." I, and many others would disagree with you that it is mediocre to poor at best. Regardless of where you see the fishery and where I see the fishery, the fact is, we could have a MUCH better one which would benefit EVERYONE. Yup. EVERYONE. A better fishery with more quality lakes is a win, win, win, win, win situation. So if we could have it, why don't we?

Cheers.
Okay, since they are terminating the trout stocking program for Peanut Lake I might as well tell you about that one. Three years ago a few of us went out there to catch some fish to bbq that night out at the trailer. We were trolling in 2 different boats using Little Cleo's (no bait) on our lines. Every 5 minutes or so we were catching a fish. We wanted to catch 12" to 14" fish because they, to us anyway, are the best size and tasting fish for eating. Mostly we were catching fish that were about 16" to 20". I would expect that due to the low water level in the lake this year it will winterkill anyway.

You see, that's just one lake that had/has bigger fish in it. Hasse was another lake that I've caught bigger fish in but we all know that there are no fish left in it. How about Kananaskis Lakes.......no bigger fish in there?

How you perceive the current fishing opportunities in Alberta is relative to the way that you think. Some might consider a 16" trout as a decent size, you do not. Regardless, no matter how you sugar coat "quality" fisheries it's all about creating something that makes catching big fish easy. I believe that the anglers that want that type of fishery are in a very small minority and creating more quality fisheries does not benefit everyone as you stated, it only benefits the small minority that wants it. The average angler is happy to go out and be able to catch fish and not just big ones.

It's not a win win situation otherwise everyone would support it. It would be a win for the trophy anglers and a loss for the average angler that loses the opportunity to catch, keep and eat smaller "eatin" sized fish. Until you understand that you'll never understand why people oppose "quality" fisheries.