View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainerdave View Post
Do any of you know if there would be the possibility of splitting some lakes with a geographical boundary? For example - Chain lakes; have the south 1/2 "open season" and the north 1/2 baitless c&r under 50cm. Now what do you think of that scenario or one like it...surely some big fish would survive without wandering - and would provide increased opportunities to everybody-including the "all fish are good small or not crowd",when they wander south.

The C&R 1/2 of the lake could act as a nursery with fish growth in mind while developing stock quality and perhaps an understanding by both sides.It does take time to grow big fish.
Stewardship.You want little stocked bows for you and the kids/etc. Sure. Fish south of point x. You want to tackle the big ones, catch and release. Let em go-let em grow.Sure.Fish north of point x.

Some big fish will go South due to the nature of fish movement and the fact that they will be allowed to develop to that size. The c&r people up north will still have little pests hitting their gear which they can release. Most of these eventually swim south to be kept anyway, as fish do move about. A few may develop in to very large fish and be caught and released several times within the north region before moving on. They would then be replaced by smaller ones-which have moved in to start the whole process up again.

Sort of a FISHTOPIA. Just food for thought- I know it seems simple but will get complicated in a hurry...D.
That's what's already happening in the lakes that I fish now, without the "quality" fishery regs. Not all of the fish that are stocked are caught on the same year as they are put in. Rainbows grow relatively fast and lakes do normally hold trout that are 2 or 3 years old. I know that 20" trout are in those lakes and I don't understand why bigger fish couldn't be in there.

You take a few eatin sized fish out if you're hungry and you put the 20" ones back. It's not that hard a concept to understand. Why people insist on only keeping the big fish is beyond me.