View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
How else would you guys like to see these ranches opened up???
One of them has not been hunted in 100 years.
Jamie
Here is where my concern comes in. If the land owner can sell tags and IF there is no price cap would you like to guess what that tag would sell for? It would be a dream to hunt one of those ranches - can you imagine the cranker animals that are on it. Think about it - access to hunt those ranches would be like winning the lottery, and you may well have to win the lottery to afford one of those tags if there is no cap on the price.
Jamie - you've long talked about wanting a 200" mulie. (include me on the list) Guess what - some of those southern ranches hold the best potential for you to take an honest to goodness 200" mulie. There are other hunters with the some goal as yourself. Now if there is no price cap on the landowner tag price - what does the potential to harvest a 200" mulie become worth to you? What is it worth to the other hunter with the 200" mulie dream?
The other question is who gets to pick and choose who gets to buy those land owner tags? Do they go to the highest bidder? Are they likely to sell one of those tags to average Joe Albertan? Or do you think they would rather sell to their long time friends and family? Would they be on a draw or a first come first serve basis? If it is first come first serve wouldn't you think that people in the know - ie friends and family would know about the pending tag sale prior to average Joe or Jane Albertan?
Another question - if they are available for sale to outfitters then that most likely translates into American hunters. Are non-resident Canadians and non resident aliens allowed to buy these tags and hunt with a hunter host?
I wonder if the lack of SRD funding from the government could result in difficulty for the SRD to manage the program properly? There long has been banter about the understaffed and underfunded SRD department.
If there is no price cap on land owner tags where does the profit go? To the landowner or to the SRD department?

I agree to an extent it may be time to think out of the box to find new ways to open up parts of the province - however they had better be careful as it is a potentially slippery slope they are messing with.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 12-21-2007 at 07:27 AM.