View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Fisheries departments everywhere have at one point or another gone on a stocking tangent they regretted. The stocking of lakers in various lakes that have bull trout and other sensitive species have cost them lots of time and money. Yellowstone Lake for instance.

As a result...you will find the current generally accepted practice North American wide of not stocking non natives unless sterile.

While I am an advocate for options of all sorts including fish species...they do have to be careful. Still...splake and tiger trout would be a great start to try...put em in some of the ruined rainbow trout put and take lakes with perch. Theory goes that they predate very well on them.

I wonder if the water that they put kokanee in have a place for them to spawn or if it is yearly stocking. That would be very expensive. A lake like Travers would not work. The Oldman Res would work but it is hard to say the impact on the native bulls. Given their size and the fact there are browns and rainbows there already...I would suspect the bull would eat kokanee if they could catch them. As filter feeder however...there is maybe not enough food for them.

They would probably do okay in Cold Lake. They stocked Coho in Cold Lake years ago but they obviously did not work.
Im not sure if i should be posting this info, but with the new construction i guess it doesnt matter.

Down where the water leaves Travers. There is one spillway that departs south as the little bow river eventully entering the Oldman river near Turin.....each and every spring i watch RBT try to climb the massive spillway. At the foot of the spillway are reds in the gravel.I used to see only acouple reds now they are overlapping
The other exit has water leaving Travers into a canal headed to Little Bow Res. At the tail waters of this chute dam is a clean gravel base. The rainbows spawn there and there is more and more every year. The suckers and whitefish congregate in high numbers...im guessing to consume the eggs.

I dont know if they are successful in their attempt to have offspring but they are diffinitely going thru the motions. And yes both male and female are ripe.

Also numerous friends are catching more and larger trout in Travers and LBR while they are fishing for perch.

Also when i go to watch the Walleye spawn i see alot of RBT in the tailings behind the walleye in the evenings,but not in the early am...i dont know why.

The part i find unusual is we dont hear about or see alot of Brown trout. My wife caught a 7lb brown on a ripplin red fin casting at night for walleyes.

I know everyone says it cant be done...because some book says it cant....all im reporting what i have seen with my own eyes. Not that im any kind of expert with formal training. All i have is that i grew up near Travers as a farm kid i could drive there on back roads since i was 9. I have many days on that lake and ive watched some amazing things happen.

There is another RES. that needs some thought....ST Marys. I have gotten to know this Res. very well also and i believe its full potenial is far from being used to its fulllest. Check its water source and it will provide you with some clues as to what im seeing there.