View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Crossbows

Russ, I am well aware of the ABA's opinion regarding crossbows as being considered the same weapons as compound bows. I completely agree with the opinion that they are completely different. I'm not entirely sure where this information is coming from regarding the huge spike in hunter numbers. I completely admit that I may be missing information on this issue and would love to understand where you are coming from. Almost all the rifle hunters that I have spoken to have lost interest in the idea of the crossbow once they learn that they can't shoot 100 yards with it. I'm not sure I understand who all these other hunters would be.
As a hardcore bow hunter I can completely understand the idea that a few more hunters may cause some problems in the bow hunting world. If hunting were an absolute sure bet for the future I would probably completely support the protection of the few bow zones and bow seasons that there are; unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the reality is that our hunting heritage is in trouble. The population of anti-hunters is growing much more quickly than we are. The idea of more hunters in the field probably means more competition for me, but a better bet for a sustainable wildlife conservation future. Again, I'm not decided on crossbows in all bow zones during all bow seasons but I can't see that impeding new hunters from entering the field as being our best decision for long-term hunting preservation. May be I'm missing something. Jonny.