View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Smallmouth have a lower water temperature tolerance... Largemouth will not do as well in Alberta...stress is too much for them.

Someone once said blue marlin...I would prefer them to smallies...but smallies are better than 6 inch brookies...
Yeah it seems that way that smallies prefer cooler water. Smallies tend to be found in deeper water than large mouth bass and seem to be frequently found with walleye. That's what I personally found when fishing in southern Manitoba. When I would catch walleye and small mouth bass at the same place at the same time, the walleye felt like a deadweight on the line, compared to the bass IMO. I also noticed there were even small mouth bass in northern manitoba where the summer climate is a cool as Alberta's and the winters are even colder than Alberta's. Perhaps there isn't enough rocky substrate in Alberta lakes to support them. All of the smallies I caught in Manitba, were caught over rock reefs on a drop off. In manitoba, the smallmouth bass lakes were laden with rock reefs.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 04-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.