View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 PM

Default Pigeon Lake Whitefish

I decided to head out to Pigeon on Saturday to see if I could catch one of those elusive jumbo whitefish. The weather was great and the black tent felt like room temperature. It was around noon and we already caught a pike and a couple walleye. I did not see any whitefish so i decided to move out into about 8-10 feet of water. I drilled a hole and started fishing outside. No more than 15 minutes later i felt a tap on my marmish rod but that was it. I thought it may have just been a walleye but I decided to put my coat over my head and look down the hole. About 30 seconds later I saw this huge whitefish descend on my hook like a submarine, I set the hook and the fight was on. I only had my marmish rod so I had a long battle ahead of me. Every time I got it near the hole it would turn it's head and take off. After about 3 minutes I was starting to get impatient because I knew the hook wasn't all the way in it's mouth, but after about 2 more minutes the fish gave up and the victory was mine. The whitefish weighed in right on 5 pounds. We also ended up catching 6 more walleye and a pike to end the day. I was very happy, it being the biggest whitefish for me to date. Now I just have to figure out how to get more than one.