View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 11:12 PM

First, I have ZERO affiliations to any group. Just playing devil's advocate, I guess.

I understand where you guys are coming from based on the majority of user-pay systems in the States. There are flaws for sure, and I respect your efforts to shed some daylight on this important issue. Thanks.

With that being said, I'm a bit mystified in regards to the multiple 'Chicken Little' scenarios being put out there.

While you are condeming the fact that MAYBE after the next 5 years landowners will be allowed to sell tags for their OWN land, but at the same time most will acknowledge that illegal payments are being made now! Did you ever once stop to consider that this may be an attempt by the government to stop illegal activities? Did you ever once stop to think that this could be a move AGAINST the outfitters and landowners who are breaking the law? Did you ever once stop to think that with the stroke of a pen, 95% of those tags could be designated 'Resident Only' or outfitting deemed illegal on private land? Do you really believe that outfitters aren't guiding on private land in Saskatchewan already?

We are NOT going to know how this works until the trial period is up. To say that paid hunting in Alberta is not happening right now is naive. Lets put a light on it and see if we can't find a way to manage it in a manner that best suits the habitat, the wildlife, the landowners and the resident hunters.

Tree