View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
I work in a field that requires me to know correct names of fish, wildlife, trees, etc. so I know what Im talking about when it comes to freshwater fish species and their correct names.

For the record, I wasnt trying to be rude. It appeared that you were new to the names so I was trying to hard wire the correct name into your head before you got used to saying the p.word!

The Quebec name Dore means golden which is why walleyes in Quebec have that local name.

Commercial fishermen across the Prairie Provinces call them yellows but they are sold by them and the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation as Pickerel which btw is the correct way to spell the p.word.

Blue Walleye still exist in many eastern Ontario and western Quebec lakes. They are really neat and if a person sees one, they will know what a blue walleye looks like. Quebecers call them Dore bleu.

Hope were good!
I think your field of work requires you to know the most recognized common name, not the "correct" name as you call it. Pickerel is also a "common name" for what you would call walleye, as is various other names used in different regions. Most fish have different common names in different area's they are found with typically one common name that would be considered the most recognized. The only true name of any fish is the scientific name - as it is universal.