Thread: Braided Lines
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
when yourturning your handle...is there a slop in the handle if you reverse direction? good reels have No slop.....stop is stop.
the slop or lack of anti reverse and a rod that flops around like a wet noodle is causing those loops in your spool.

Even hard to engage reels cause a wind loop on a spool.....you see a guy having to put extra ommmmffff into getting his reel to engage....normally he will back off the handle and take a good run at getting the reel engaged....theres a garanteed loop....combine that with a floppy rod making river dance moves...and now you have a big spool loop or multiply loops.

cast and its a birdsnest
Great read chubbs. I have been having this problem lately as well. I used braids all last year and i didnt have this problem till this season. I had changed the line on my spools so i was thinking it was how it was spooled on or something different about the line. This makes alot of sense. Diagnosing my issues with the loops against your causes however........

My reel engages right a way and the anti reverse is great. My rod is definitely not wet noodle like. I dont use quick shot reels. The only thing I don't do is close my bail manually. However, i do believe I know why I am getting my loops now. it is one of 2 things

1. not properly applying tension to my line after my casts before reeling in- cast out, immediately drop the rod tip and start reeling rather than ensuring proper tension

2. I have been chucking more cranks with my gear and I think I have become sloppy with my technique. adding more random twitches to my retrieve. But most importantly holding the rod tip low and more out infront of me then off to the side. So when i twitch i twitch low and slightly to one side but at the end of the twitch I move my rod tip more forward infront of me creating extra slack in the line.

Great read. i think my problem will be solved