View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
You are correct. Very odd. Never noticed it. It is a bad regulation.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Province-wide maximum possession – All fish kept from any lake or stream, from any Watershed Unit, count as part of the province-wide maximum possession that must not be exceeded. The maximum number of fish you may have, including fish at your home and fish caught under a special harvest licence, for each game fish species or group of species is listed below:

Trout and Arctic Grayling – 5 in total, combined of:
0 bull trout (native to Alberta);
2 Northern Dolly Varden (stocked in Chester Lake only);
1 golden trout;
2 Arctic grayling;
3 lake trout;
5 cutthroat trout;
5 rainbow trout;
5 brown trout;
5 brook trout.

Mountain Whitefish – 5 in total.
Walleye and Sauger – 3 in combined total.
Northern Pike – 3 in total.
Yellow Perch – 15 in total.
Lake Whitefish and Cisco (Tullibee) – 10 in combined total.
Goldeye and Mooneye – 10 in combined total.
Burbot (Ling) – 10 in total.
Lake Sturgeon – 0
Non-game fish – no restriction on the numbers kept.

The edible flesh of legally kept game fish must not be wasted, destroyed, spoiled or abandoned (this does not apply to burbot).
If it was true that Burbot was not a game fish, it would come under the section here of "Non-game fish - no restriction on the numbers kept", but it doesn't. It clearly states that there's a province wide limit of 10 burbot.

I find it odd none of you knew this! There was a thread over the winter about those hundreds of burbs someone found on the ice, and they couldn't understand why there was no restriction on wasting burbot.

I can't find the thread now, but I think the consensus was that Burbot is/was viewed as a nuisance/pst fish.

Last edited by Photoplex; 05-31-2011 at 02:54 PM.