View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
If it was true that Burbot was not a game fish, it would come under the section here of "Non-game fish - no restriction on the numbers kept", but it doesn't. It clearly states that there's a province wide limit of 10 burbot.

I find it odd none of you knew this! There was a thread over the winter about those hundreds of burbs someone found on the ice, and they couldn't understand why there was no restriction on wasting burbot.

I can't find the thread now, but I think the consensus was that Burbot is/was viewed as a nuisance/pst fish.
That Ice fishing thread irks me everytime someone pulls it up and after hearing the stats last night that 51% of people utilising food banks are employed full time and have family to feed,,, then we throw away and even condone the act of wasting not only a fantastic tasting fish but one with extremely high nutritional value. my favorite part of the wiki page on burbs is;

In the 1920s, Minnesota druggist Theodore "Ted" H. Rowell and his father, Joseph Rowell, a commercial fisherman on Lake of the Woods, were using the burbot as feed for the foxes on Joe’s blue-fox farm. They discovered that the burbot contained something that improved the quality of the foxes’ furs; this was confirmed by the fur buyers who commented that these furs were superior to other furs they were seeing. Ted Rowell felt it was something in the burbot, so he extracted some oil and sent it away to be assayed. The result of the assay was that the liver of the burbot has 3 to 4 times the potency in vitamin D, and 4 to 10 times in vitamin A, than “good grades” of cod-liver oil. The vitamin content varies in Burbot from lake to lake, where their diet may have some variation. Additionally, the burbot liver makes up approximately 10% of the fish's total body weight, and its liver is six times the size of those of freshwater fish of comparable size. Ted also found in his research that the oil is lower in viscosity, and more rapidly digested and assimilated than most other fish liver oils. Ted went on to found the Burbot Liver Products Company which later became Rowell Laboratories, Inc., of Baudette, Minnesota, and is today a subsidiary of Solvay Pharmaceuticals of Brussels, Belgium.

Evelyn C. Smith researched and developed of the use of livers from the fresh water burbot for fish oil strong in vitamin A and D. She started during the Great Depression (1929) by offering free burbot oil to the poor and grew to commercializing the oil until the sale of the production equipment to the Rowell Fish Company in 1940