View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Wow this thread has got the makings of a "Quality Trout Thread",,, so last night I was playing with numbers and thought about the economics of fishing,, and yes there are many factors to employ but I stuck with trying to create a supply/demand equation and then made it a supply/pressure/demand equation.

So, what if licenses were issued in value to pressure per region frequented (smaller versions of eastern slopes, pp1, pp2, etc). So if you live in a three hour radius of Edmonton or Calgary your license costs $75, if you live in High Level your license would reflect the pressure in this region and be (for sake of this post) $30, if you frequent the Pincher Creek area $40 and so forth. Additions for other regions can be done as punch card, so if I want to venture to Wabunumunnumununm (<sp?) I would have my license "punched" at a cost of $5.00, which may reflect two outings up that way. A license could be issued for Southern Alberta or Northern or Eastern, or a whole Alberta license for $150, I don't know many fishers who hit every quadrant and subquadrant of the Province. So backwoods Bill in the most remote area of Athabasca only needs a license for $10.

Our license doesn't financially justify a fisheries/conservation/SRD department,, spread over a year it costs .50 cents a week,, that's an incredible privelage/incentive to harvest. It really should reflect the value of the resource. Since last Saturday my family has eaten high quality trout for lunch and supper, I valued the fish at around $32 from the grocers (could be higher, due the quality) and that was just one outing. I don't keep all the time, the fishing is more about peace and quiet and nice air and meeting people, but I'll always keep one for the pan (except Walleye).

So, there are some number crunchers here and some who know the truer numbers or frequencies or pressure,,, can we make a reasonable model for a license based solely on harvest (as if C&R never existed)?

And finally,, somebody mentioned that W.I.N and license fees go into general revenue, this really needs to change or allocated to the department serving the outdoorsmen community.

Oh, and Jimboy fished the early days where the total population of Alberta was probably the same as the total amount of anglers now. It was also a time of less ego on the waters and not a very wasteful post-war society. It is our impact that is the detriment not long gone generations.

I would say it is the cumulative impact of all previous generations combined with the fisheries management direction over that period is what depleted fish stocks. Not Joe blow yesterday. I did a historical review of Alberta fisheries years back. I was amazed what the fishing was like...but the photos of gramps with a rake of 50 bull trout or 100 walleye explained a lot visually. That direction was a mandate to have people catch and kill fish equal or greater than the cost to get them (gas, etc). Times have changed as you noted the population is much greater.

Your theoretical calucation above should include...

Value of fish stocks (ie. there will be a difference between stocked and natural).

Limiting harvest through economic forces (ie. those that want to harvest should pay enough to limit those harvesting to the numbers of harvestable fish).

Economic impact on Alberta's economy

Last time I reviewed the various costs etc...licences did not cover the cost of the recreational activity and management thereof. BC adopted a money in fish and services out system of fisheries management. I believe they have a user group help with developing policies etc. Definitely worth looking at.