View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk View Post
How was the portage to fortress? I want to haul my kayak up there this summer on a cart but I have not walked the boat that far before nor been on the trail. How long was the portage? And how was coming back on the river? The pics of those trout would make any long trek worth it.
It's about a 25 km portage, with 2 river crossings! The first 15 is pretty good - I think they took vehicles in at one point, back in the day. After Athabasca Crossing, it's more of a side hill root and rock romp. The last stretch from Chaba to the lake is flat ground and decent trail(maybe 2 km). Coming back on the river would be no problem for someone with experience and a river kayak. I wouldn't even think of it using a sea kayak. The Chaba section can be pretty shallow in places, depending when you go. The section between Chaba/Athabasca confluence and Athabasca/Sunwapta confluence is fairly flat water with gentle flow(and decent fishing). Once the Sunwapta empties in to the Athabasca, it gets a little more technical, and maybe 3 or 4 km until it meets Hwy 93.
I really need to dig out my slides and scan a bunch so that I can post them. We caught several brookies around 6 pounds, and saw larger ones spawning in the outlet.