View Single Post
Old 08-15-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
My BLR feels heavy to me. I have a Gold Medallion in 7-08 (my first not borrowed rifle) and this is what it weighs at with no scope and swivels, but rail and rings on:

Maybe it’s just Gold Medallion models, but mine feels pretty heavy. Like I mentioned, it was my first rifle, but I don’t think I would buy it again. And it’s actually not the feel weight that annoys me most, it’s the trigger. I bought a Leupold VX5-HD 1-5x24 scope for it last year and haven’t installed it still. And not sure if I will, lol. Thinking I should probably sell the gun altogether and buy something else for the money.

It stopped going with me almost anywhere after I bought the Browning X-Bolt in 243. This is what that rifle weighs at with the scope (Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40) and a sling (Kodiak whatever it is called rubber sling):

The difference is not that much (300g and the weight of VX3i is 357g, according to the specs at Leupold website, no clue how heavy the sling is), but the rifle feels a lot lighter than the BLR. Maybe it’s just me. Again, it’s not the feel of weight that’s annoying, but the trigger. I was fine with it before I bought something else though, lol.

The Sako A7 Roughtech Pro is a bigger gun than either of the above. It wouldn’t be a comfortable bush gun, in my opinion, though I hunted the bush with rifles longer than that. I just don’t think that’s what you are looking for, knowing your hunting style. My 30-06 is topped with a heavy Leica and that’s what it weighs at with no sling:

The scope is pretty heavy though - 620g or 21.9oz, according to the specs.

You can handle all of them when you drive down and see what they are like if you don’t buy anything until then. I am also interested in what you will choose in case I finally decide to sell the BLR or trade it for something else as our hunting styles are similar (why I chose the BLR in the first place). I have been thinking about stainless Kimber Hunter for bush with that 1-5 Leupold I mentioned above.

Edit: I included photos with weights in grams as well because I am a metric guy myself, unless it comes to construction, lol.
My old Ruger weighed about what that A7 does, It was my main rifle for decades but eventually a day of carrying it in hand started to bother my wrists.

Interesting that BLR weighs that much, I thought they claimed the weight at around 6.5 lbs? That said, I'd be interested in handling it. Between the Husky's and the Lee Enfields it takes a truly awful trigger to throw me off.

Which brings me to my previous point, my Husqvarna's both weigh in well under 7.5 lbs scoped and loaded. They have wood stocks and a slick Mauser action, the triggers arent the best and I'm still working on some scope ring alignment issues... in terms of what I want in a rifle its awfully hard to beat them.