View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeks View Post
Do gunsmiths shy away from custom builds centered around sako actions?
Sako rifles seem to be talked of highly in hunting circles, yet very rarely do I see customized sakos on forums or on gunsmithing websites. Could it be the high $$ of obtaining an action, unconventional optics mounting system, or is the three lug bolt undesirable? I keep tossing the following idea around:
300 win mag - sako 75 or 85 ss rec & mag, high quality comp. stock, high quality ss barrel. The rifle would be used for hunting. I am assuming the weight would end up being around 8.5-9 lbs. I have a 3-12 Zeiss victory to throw on top. Any pros/cons, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Is there a certain gunsmith in AB that would be more familiar with this type of build? Thanks for your input.
I don't know of any that shy away from Sako actions. As mentioned earlier there are many more options for the Rem. 700 platform or a custom action that utilizes the Rem. 700 configuration.

Sako's are fine actions, the 75 and 85 being the peak of modern design and production. Excellent actions. McMillan makes stocks and of course any of the fine custom barrels can be fitted to the action. I believe the bolt handle is still integral to the bolt body unlike the soldered Rem. 700 or custom stiller action.

Both the 75 and 85 would make fine custom guns.

The problem with many aftermarket bottom metal units (typically for a remington) is that they have lost the fine classic style (unlike the Sako). If you like the refined look like the Sako magazine design, don't look to the Surgeon or tactical makes listed.

The Sako TRG was a departure from their refined style with the plastic type material trigger guard and mag bottom.

Last edited by Precisionshooter; 12-20-2009 at 05:12 PM.