Thread: RIP Rick Cross
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
I would expect it to take off, perhaps a bluff or two, like the vast majority of other bears would. If all grizzlies reacted like this one we would have multiple people killed or mauled each year.

The point is why would anyone body want to take that chance. If the bear does it again to another person then what?
Nothing. If this bear kills another person it is just acting natural. It is natural for bears to hunt live prey so I expect predatory attacks will now also be acceptable behaviour.

If this government wasn't so politically powerless and afraid of losing votes, this bear and cub would be dead already. I suspect that if the victim was a child and not a hunter that the decision would be different.

That is IF f&w actually know which bear is responsible.

The fact that a private company who's business is non lethal predator actions was involved in the decision to let this bear live gives me concern. Parks had a policy to destroy bears that make violent contact with people causing death or injury. I guess the new decision makers along with private enterprise are now going to experiment with having known man killers living in highly used areas of our parks. Time will tell if Parks has the balls to let the next known man killer live.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."