View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 AM

Each person zeros where they want, that way it allows "lee-way adjustments over all.

Sierra Reloading manual along with other reloading books explain this.

Each bullet with its reloading charge can very with in the 8" impact zone,,, + 4" high at this yardage, - 4" drop at this point.

Example "could" look like this...

Let's say the girth is + or - 16". This allows the shooter too pin-point the 8" of vital-zone in its front lower section.

We find out in our "field test" that the rise of + 4" happens at this range, and - 4" at that range,,, the shooter has the option too split that distance for that particular cartrage that they choose too shoot.

Archery and black powder folks "sometimes" use this sighting method, I do as its fast and accurate with out adjustments.

My 8" gong from 100 too 200 yards gets X hairs placed on the bottom lower edge of the gong.

200 too 300 yards I hold center. 400 too 500 the gong gets stacked by 1. Kinda like a gong on top of a gong. Ha.

Lucky this year as my new optics have fast built in range finder and open hole see threw mill rings.
But this simple cross hair sighting idea has been around for many years.

Its not for everyone by no means, but it does come in handy for us that choose slow heavy projectiles as it allows us the 8" viral zone.

We learn over time at the range on how much hold under or over with the cartrage we want too use.

In the old days I duck-taped + and - numbers too my rifle stock. I'll still do this too my new rifle once I field test the 150gr for my 30/06.

Once I write the numbers down from 100 too 500 yards, they remain in my mind from there on in.

I'll post more of this on the return too 30/06 thread once the rifle comes back from the gun smith.

Don at trying different things at the range as I learn the cartrages, rifle and how it works with my not as steady hands of days gone by.