View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone052 View Post
A couple of my thoughts having been through this:

- You will pay based on the differences in incomes and as of last year's income tax information.

- When income tax information is exchanged again in the spring 0f 2021, the payments will be set again for another year.

- There is no legal agreement, even if agreed to by both parties, that can supersede this. Even if your ex-partner agrees to a different monthly amount, the original guidelines would be enforceable as no agreement can overrule them, and can be enforced to top up payments up to 5 years in the past.

Also, everyone seems to think it's only evil women who suck money out of good, decent heard-working men's accounts. I have seen the opposite happen several times; instances of men working for their brother, getting paid under the table, and then claiming very little income and going back to their ex-wife for child support. One poor lady I knew had this happen to her as her ex worked 2 jobs for his family, demanded child support, treated her children poorly, and used them against her. She worked 2 jobs, spoke very little English, and couldn't see her kids as much as she wanted because of her working 70 hours a week. It was heartbreaking.

Divorce can make people turn ugly real fast. My advice to anyone going through it is to be as amicable as you can, don't ever bad-mouth your ex to your kids, be the better person and turn the other cheek, and to get a pre-nuptial agreement before getting married again to protect yourself as much as possible!
Well said. Deadbeat dads exist and are more than willing to work the system. Every decision should be around what is best for the kids. Adults can handle their feelings. Kids cannot. Time to be adults.